Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Haltom's Twentieth Law: The less likely one is to lift a possession, the heavier, more fragile, and more awkward the possession will be to lift

Like "chicken hawks" and "war wimps" eager to send others into war, friends and colleagues are attracted to anything they cannot move except their own asses.

I learned Haltom's 20th the hard way. A graduate student who ended up an administrator -- another good girl gone bad -- asked me to help her move. It should have occurred to me that graduate school selected for brawn even less than for brains, but I did not appreciate that until I arrived at her place. I beheld at least a half dozen men who might never have seen football, let alone played it.

It stood to reason that when a heavy, awkward, fragile case for display [in both the functional and anthropologic senses of "display"] needed to be transported up a narrow, steep staircase, I was selected to be gravity guy. A rugger who then outweighed me was steering at the top of the case. I was pushing from the bottom. No more than two alleged adults fit in the stairway, so Joe and I were elected. As I sweated and slogged, Haltom's 20th law came to me: "Of course, she treasures this display case! Anyone with a chance of having to lift it would have selected a lighter case."


This maxim has cognate propositions.

  • Those with weak backs will tend to to have wanderlust and myriad buddies too proud and too stupid to fake a back injury.

  • Those who cannot raise a bet will be most indecisive about where furniture should go -- and more indecisive the heavier the furniture.

  • Whenever the moving van arrives, the proudest would-be participants in a move will discover that their desk drawer needs immediate reorganization.

  • Those who cannot use technology will be most enthusiastic about its availability and adoption -- especially slackers who look for labor-saving devices that save them the capacity to work.

Feel free to comment on perversities that correspond to Haltom's 20th law.

Coming Soon -- Haltom's 21st Law: What is not worth doing is not worth doing well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The less civilly one is playing, the more civility one will be braying.